My go-to recipe for those numerous times I find myself needing to have a dessert ready before leaving for a dinner party/picnic/event a half hour later. A beautifully dense and chocolatey dessert that only improves if you have leftovers and is absolutely perfect next to an espresso!
- 200 grams chocolate (the Trader Joes baking chocolate works divinely + is very reasonably priced)
- 1 stick of butter, diced
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4-5 tablespoons of sugar (after you’ve tried it once, you can sweeten it to your taste, I tend to like it on the pure chocolatey side)
- zest from one orange
1. Set oven to 360F and butter mold (using the wrapping from the butter used in the recipe makes it too easy!)
2. Melt chocolate and butter together in a bowl, either au “bain marie” or in the microwave if you are low on time
3. Beat egg yolks with the sugar until it lightens and add the orange zest
4. Once chocolate + butter mixture is melted, mix in the yolks + sugar
5. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until fluffy and peaking
6. Fold in egg whites to chocolate mixture, carefully doing so to prevent the volume from decreasing (since there is no flour, the egg whites are providing the fluffiness)
7. Put cake in the oven and let it bake between 15-25 minutes! Ive made this cake in many different molds, the key is just to check relatively often, and as soon as the inserted toothpick has no batter sticking to it, its ready! This is the type of cake that tastes much better when its undercooked, rather than overcooked!